Available dates in 2020
Dec 1 2019 – May 30 2020
Price based on double room occupancy, per person, per night.
Name: Capitan Suizo
Location: This hotel is on the beach in Tamarindo on Guanacaste peninsula. There are surf breaks all along the Tamarindo beach. The closest wave is just in front of the hotel. Tamarindo is about 1-hour away from the Liberia International Airport. Tamarindo has grown to be one of the two centers (with Nosara) for the American surf travel and holiday vacations in Costa Rica. Therefore Tamarindo is offering outstanding food scene, shopping, bars, beach clubs, etc.
The hotel is also 5-min walking distance from all the restaurants, bars, shops and downtown.
Please see hotel pictures below in the gallery.
Hotel Capitán Suizo is a beachfront boutique and Four Star hotel located on Tamarindo beach, one of the most beautiful swimming and surfing beaches on the Costa Rican Pacific coast. Since opening its doors in 1992, Capitán Suizo has been rated by its guests, among the top ten hotels in Central America by Condé Nast (2009-2017) and received a 2015-2017 Travelers’ Choice award from TripAdvisor.
Located in a privileged area outside of town, at the end of the bay and directly on the beach merged with thoughtful design, friendly staff, excellent service and delicious food, the hotel is the perfect gateway for your relaxing Costa Rica beach holiday.
Nestled between lush, tropical gardens, our 35 inviting rooms await you. The six bungalows, six ocean front units, 22 superior rooms and four bedroom suite, are spacious, furnished with local materials and decorated with regional craftsmanship and antique photographs from Costa Rica. All of them overlook exuberant tropical gardens, face towards the ocean and feature a balcony or terrace. Each room has a king size bed with a tailor made mosquito net for those who prefer it. Rooms have a comfortable sitting area with a queen size sofa bed (except the 2 Beachfront Garden Rooms) and sliding doors to let the refreshing ocean breeze in.
They all have air conditioning, ceiling fans and wireless Internet access. They are equipped with a small refrigerator, coffee and tea facilities, direct dial telephone, safe deposit box (included in the price), AM/FM radio and a large closet. All the spacious bathrooms have a shower, an extra 220 volts wall-socket for European appliances and hair dryer.
All the rooms, except the 2 Beachfront Garden Rooms have been designed and equipped for a maximum of 3 people.
Our Superior Rooms are equipped with a balcony (second floor) or a terrace (first floor) and a spacious bathroom. The 11 rooms on the superior floors were originally built on a high level to keep them fresh through natural air circulation. This environmentally friendly “Ocean Breeze” option can still be offered in some units if someone wishes it this way.
The 6 bungalows are individually set amongst the nature. Every unit has a large private terrace with a hammock. The spacious bathrooms have a double whirlpool and an outside shower with hot water. Originally these units were designed to keep the inside cool through natural air circulation. If someone would like to enjoy the balmy evenings and wake up in the morning to the singing of the birds, the howl of the monkeys, and the roaring of the sea we can still offer this environmentally friendly “Ocean Breeze” option.
While having the same design and facilities as the Bungalows with air conditioning and the ocean breeze, two of our bungalows have the privilege of being located directly in front of the beach. The ocean front terrace is ideal for a romantic, private candlelight dinner.
BEACHFRONT GARDEN ROOMS
The two Beachfront Garden Rooms are situated on the ground floor and both have spectacular ocean vistas. The spacious bathrooms each have a shower and a Jacuzzi. Wide sliding doors open up onto a contemporary, tropical terrace with a wooden deck that offers an amazing ocean view which can be enjoyed while lying in the hammock.
- The closes surf break is just in front of the hotel. It is a small wave with sand bottom in shallow water ideal for beginners. However for intermediate surfers may find this little wave boring. For the hotel break to be bigger than 3ft the swell has to be 8-10 feet or above.
- A few minutes was on the beach from the hotel are the main Tamarindo waves. The wind tends to be flat or off shore most of the time and the beach has a very gentle slope which leads to slow friend waves ideal for beginners inside.On the outside the waves tend to be ideal for intermediates with a not too deep sand bottom.However these waves being in town and on a very busy beach also means that the breaks in Tamarindo itself tend to be very crowded.
- At the other end of the beach is the Tamarindo estuary which is both a nature reserve and a great surf break in all tides.Past the estuary (which you can pass with a free small boat in a few minutes) is Playa Grande. Playa Grand is not a developped beach as it is home to many nesting turtles. It is therefore much less busy. Playa Grand is an average fairly deep beach break with sand bottom.
- Within 1 to 2 hours drive of Tamarindo there are a dozen different famous breaks:
- Marbella : great short board beach and reef break
- Nosara : great overall sand bottom fat-wave long board wave
- Avallanas : great short board beach and reef break
- Playa Negra : advanced barreling and fast (shallow) tube break
We believe Costa Rica is the best trade off between proximity to the US, cost, quality of surf , hotel and food scene. While this may also mean that Costa Rica surf is usually quite busy, if one knows where to go often one can surf with no more then a few other people in the water.
Our guides will pick you up from your hotel and take you to the best spots given the day conditions, the crowd level , etc.
We have travelled to Costa Rica a few times a year for a few years and we have explored the Costa Rican Pacific coast up and down on a few of these trips. We have become friends and we have been surfing together with Greivin ever since. As in all our tours, we only work with guides we have surfed with personally multiple times and often for years. People who are also amazing teachers. And locals who know the spots inside out.
The transfer airport-hotel
Our local partner will pick you up and transfer you between the airport and the hotel, and back. Usually the transfer takes about 1 hour.
What is included in the price
- Transfer airport Liberia (LIR) – hotel.
- Hotel room, en suite bathroom, double bed, with balcony or terasse overlooking the garden.
- One 2-hour surf lesson/guided session per day with surf equipment (board, leash, etc.)
- One 90-min group yoga lesson per day.
What is Not-included in the price
- Flight to and from Liberia (LIR). ( However we are happy to assist you with booking convenient and cost effective flight. We have extensive experience with arranging flights).
- Any other activities besides the included activities
Costa Rica is known for its ecological reserves and abundent nature. There are nature tours with local experienced guides in small boats on the Tamarindo estuary. Also within 1 to 2 hours of Tamarindo there are numerous possible activities from horse riding, to canopy tours, water falls, fishing, snorkeling, etc
1. How do you get to Tamarindo, Costa Rica?
The best thing is to buy a plane ticket to the airport in Lilberia (LIR). From Liberia our airport transfer partner will pick you up by minivan and take you to your hotel in Tamarindo. From Liberia to Montañita there are about 60 kilometers so it takes about 1 hour. Remember that the airport to hotel transfer is included in your package.
2. How long is the flight to Liberia (LIR) ?
Jetblue flies non-stop from New York JFK to Liberia (LIR) in about 5.5 hours. The price for a return ticket in economy is usually about $400 on the direct flight. Other companies like American Airlines flies from Miami direct to Liberia for about the same price of $400.
Remember that Surf Soul can assist you to buy your flight ticket for free. We are very used to travelling and we can help you find the best compromises and best deals.
3. Can we stay for two or more weeks?
Yes of course! We offer a discount for additional weeks per-week.
4. Can non-surfing people join?
Yes! We offer discounts for non-surfing.
Costa Rica has surf year around in warm water. The breaks are diverse from beach breaks to point breaks via reefs. The country is nature friendly and is reputated for its eco tours, fauna and flora. Tourism is extremely developed. Costa Rica is also one of the few countries who doesn’t have a military.
Guanacaste peninsula in Costa Rica