Ericeira is a historic fishing village about 30 minutes from Lisbon, the capital city of Portugal. Ericeira is famous for it’s spectauclar ocean views and excellent seafood restaurants. In the last 20 years it has become a Mecca for surfers, who come here for the great waves and camaraderie. Ericeira is part of the Wold Surfing Reserve.
Ericeira is a fantastic place for a learn to surf holiday with a variety of fun beach-breaks that give you the perfect walls to learn the basics, and for the more intermediate and advanced there is a host of world class reef breaks offering up left and right-hand barrels and walling point-breaks that you can carve up to your hearts content.
Another attribute that makes Ericeira surf holidays so popular is it’s accessibility, situated only 40 minutes from Lisbon and 30 minutes from the airport, making this a great destination for a quick and easy surf holiday getaway.
December 1st 2019 to April 30 2020
Price is per person per night based on double occupancy. Single occupancy also available.
Name: Reserva FLH Hotels Ericeira
FLH are the initials for Feels Like Home – this is the sensation our Hotels want to offer you! Our concept: modern and comfortable boutique hotels for an unforgettable experience. Find our fantastic locations in Lisbon, Porto or Ericeira. The best views of the city and the most comfortable rooms. Each one of our spaces has their own personality, name, story and mood.
Another favourite thing about the hotel, after their fantastic and strategical locations, is their amazing breakfast. It’s simple, fresh and healthy.
As an 100% Portuguese company, FLH hotels’ goal is to promote the very best their beautiful country has to offer – they always try to choose Portuguese brands to create their spaces – decoration, ceramics, textiles, amenities. For this reason, each one of their hotels has an invited Portuguese artist that create exclusive pieces of art and develops a special mood, taking the hotel name, location and decoration into account.
Location: In our boutique hotel Reserva, you will find 26 rooms, spread over five floors. It is very well located and central, so you’re able to walk to the villa, restaurants, beaches and stores.
Complete beginners, beginners and intermediate surfers will find Ericeira and surroundings surf fun.
Portugal is known for having consistent surf of high quality year around. Swells can at times reach 15-20ft however there are always spots where our local guides can take you where the waves will be at a pleasant size for your level.
Water temperature is usually cold varying between 57F and 64F year around. A 3/2 or 4/3 wetsuit is needed and will be provided.
Ericeira itself offers multiple surf locations among which:
1. A very well protected harbor beach break with sand bottom which is great for beginners. The break is in the middle of town. It is where most people make their first steps in surfing and it is particularly safe and protected.
2. South Beach. This wave is just in front of the hotel and it breaks inside and outside. The wave tends to be about 1/2 the size of the swell and it is a pealing wave. To paddle out an easy channel is available.
3. Ribeira D’Ilhas. A 10 minutes drive from the hotel is a wold famous gulf with a reef wave called Ribeira D’Ilhas. It has both a beginner break and an intermediate break with an easy channel for paddle out. This premium wave hosts some of the most famouns surf competitions in Portugal. A cafe and restaurant on the beach also offer the perfect opportunity to rest between sessions or watch and learn from other surfers.
There are a lot of waves and every gulf and beach in the region offers usually multiple breaks. Our guides have been some of the first people surfing in the Ericeira region for more than 30 years and they are able to take you to the best spot for the day given the conditions and your level.
Given the number of waves in and around Ericeira one usually surfs with 5 or 10 other people on the same wave. However, the point break can get busier with usually 10 to 15 people.
The wind is often favorouble to surfing in Portugal. A north wind will usually bring colder water and temperaturs and a warm wind from the Moroccoan south will usually bring warmer water and temperatures.
The transfer airport-hotel
Our local partner will pick you up and transfer you between the airport and the hotel, and back. Usually the transfer takes about 30-45 minutes.
What is included in the price
- Transfer airport Lisbon ( LIS) – hotel.
- Hotel room
- One 2-hour surf lesson/guided session per day with surf equipment (board, leash, wetsuit, etc.)
What is Not-included in the price
- Flight to and from Lisbon. ( However we are happy to assist you with booking convenient and cost effective flight. We have extensive experience with arranging flights).
- Other meals. Our guides can recommend restaurants and take you there but lunch and dinner are not included.
- Any other activities besides the included activities
There are a lot of activities available around. Our guides and hotel concierge will be happy to suggest things and answer any questions you have.
1. How do you get to Ericeira?
The best thing is to buy a plane ticket to the airport in Lisbon (LIS). From the airport transfer partner will pick you up by minivan and take you to your hotel . From the airport it takes about 30-45min . Remember that the airport to hotel transfer is included in your package.
2. How long is the flight to Lisbon (LIS) ?
There are numerous flies non-stop from New York to Lisbon (LIS) in about 7 hours. The price for a return ticket in economy is usually about $600 on the direct TAP Air Portugal flight. Other companies like Lufthansa, Brussels Airlins also fly with or without stops and the prices vary but can be as low as $497.
In business lay-flat bed seats the direct flight New York – Lisbon return ticket is usually around $2500.
Remember that Surf Soul can assist you to buy your flight ticket for free. We are very used to travelling and we can help you find the best compromises and best deals.
3. Can we stay for two or more weeks?
Yes of course! We offer a $150 discount for additional weeks per-week.
4. Can non-surfing people join?
Yes! We offer a discount for non-surfing guests as well.
Recognized surf instructor and coach surfer by the Portuguese Surfing Federation and IPDJ.
Therefore he is known for many as the best instructor of Ericeira. – Boas ondas! (port. “good waves”)