Available dates in 2020 from check-in date to check-out date:
January 8 – February 20
March 1 – April 5th
April 15 – May 31st
Price based on double room occupancy, per person, per night.
Montañita is a village on Ecuador’s Santa Elena Peninsula, known for its beaches with strong surf breaks and bohemian vibe. Lively bars, nightclubs and thatch-roofed restaurants line the streets. Montañita Beach stretches north to La Punta, a rocky bluff with views over the ocean. Farther north along the coast are Olón village and the nearby cloud forest of the Chongón-Colonche mountains.
Name: Balsa Surf Camp
Location: Hotel is 1-block from the beach. It is in the quiet area of town (no noise at night). Downtown (the party area of town) is a 10-15 min walk on the beach from the hotel or 5 minutes in taxi. The taxi to town is 24/7 and costs $1.5 ( one dollar and fifty cents, yes !).
The hotel was built out of balsa wood, by hand, with local skills and sustainable resources. Each room has its own unique characters. Each comes with an outdoor space (balcony or terrace) with a hammock.
All rooms have en-suite bathrooms.
- Room availability:
- 2 balcony double-bed rooms1 terrace double-bed room
- 1 charming and full of character Volkswagen Wagon room with all comfort and en-suite bathroom
- 1 room with 2 twin-beds
- 4 rooms with 3-beds (one double bed and one single)
Complete beginners, beginners and intermediate surfers will find Montanita surf fun.
Water temperature is usually 73-75F (23-34C) and no wetsuit is needed for surfing from January to end of April. ( In May wet suits of size S to L are available if needed).
Montanita itself offers two surf locations:
1. A long beach break with sand bottom which is great for beginners and intermediate. The break is literally accross the road from the hotel. Waves tend to be 2-3ft most of the time. Ideally around mid to high tide. At low tide it can get fast and hollow and if bigger even barrel.
2. A point break “La Punta” with rock bottom but fairly deep. The point tends to be 1-2 ft bigger then the beach break. It holds up to 10ft. At that size the beach break closes out. However those days are very rare.
The wind is typically low in the morning and in the evening and picks up during the day.
Given the number of peaks on the beach break one usually surfs with 2 or 3 other people on the same point. However, the point break can get busier with usually 10 to 15 people.
In addition of the two locations in front of the hotel, there are a number of other beach and point locations within 30 minutes drive. These locations are not included in the surf package, however you can arrange the transport and guide for an extra cost with the hotel guides at your leisure.
The transfer airport-hotel
Our local partner will pick you up and transfer you between the airport and the hotel, and back. Usually the transfer takes about 2.5 hours.
What is included in the price
- Transfer airport Guayaquil ( GYE) – hotel.
- Hotel room, en suite bathroom, double bed, with balcony or terasse overlooking the garden.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner (but not drinks or dessert)
- One 2-hour surf lesson/guided session per day with surf equipment (board, leash, etc.)
- One 90-min group yoga lesson per day in the hotel at 10am except on Tuesdays.
- Soft drinks in the hotel ( water, juices, tea, coffee, etc.)
What is Not-included in the price
- Flight to and from Guayaquil. ( However we are happy to assist you with booking convenient and cost effective flight. We have extensive experience with arranging flights).
- Dessert with the meals
- Drinks at the hotel
- Any other activities besides the included activities
The hotel owners also manufacture balsa surf boards. One of the most popular activities is learning how a balsa surf board is made.
In addition the hotel keeps a list on activities they can organize for our guests for an extra cost. The activities include horse riding, fishing, travelling to local marine reserves, etc.
1. How do you get to Montanita Ecuador?
The best thing is to buy a plane ticket to the airport in Guayaquil (GYE). From Guayaquil our airport transfer partner will pick you up by bus and take you to your hotel in Montanita. From Guayaquil to Montañita there are 170 kilometers so it takes about 2 hours and a half. Remember that the airport to hotel transfer is included in your package.
2. How long is the flight to Guayaquil (GYE) ?
Latam Airlines flies non-stop from New York to Guayaquil (GYE) in about 6 hours. The price for a return ticket in economy is usually about $600 on the direct Latam flight. Other companies like Spirit, Copa, also fly with stops and the prices vary but can be as low as $275.
In business lay-flat bed seats the direct flight New York – Guayaquil return ticket is usually around $1100.
Remember that Surf Soul can assist you to buy your flight ticket for free. We are very used to travelling and we can help you find the best compromises and best deals.
3. Can we stay for two or more weeks?
Yes of course! We offer a $150 discount for additional weeks per-week.
4. Can non-surfing people join?
Yes! However we can not offer any particular discounts for non-surfing guests at this time.
There are no reviews yet.